Please note: information about the 2012 Wizard Week can be found here: 2012 Wizard Week at the NRM
UPDATE: 22 February 2011 – Hagrid and Dumbledore lookalikes spotted in York promoting this event!
It’s Wizard Week at the National Railway Museum!
When: 09.30-18.00, 19-27 February 2011
Where: The National Railway Museum, York
Cost: Admission is FREE – though some activities carry a charge, please see below.
• Wizard performances
• Craft activities
• Owl displays
• Segway rides at Exhilaration Station*
• The museum trail
• Adventure playground
• Simulator* (choose from Kiddie Rollercoaster, London to Brighton Train Ride, Space Shuttle Mission, Time Travel)
• Miniature Railway* (subject to weather)
• Crafts – make a glowing lantern
• Road Train*
• And the week’s special treat, a ride behind the Hogwart’s Castle – the steam train in the Harry Potter films*
But that’s not all. Year round there are permanent exhibitions of just about everything important connected to the railways – an important part of Britain’s heritage. A current highlight is the Duchess of Hamilton, a streamlined locomotive in art deco style which caused a sensation across the globe when it was first unveiled in 1938.
For more information, see the National Railway Museum’s website.